I've spent the vast majority of my afternoon and evening reading back issues of Backpacker magazine and watching episode after episode of The Office. An eventful day, you're thinking.
Anyway. All my reading catalyzed this itch that I sometimes feel to up and leave everything and retreat into my own little adventure. I've been inspired to believe that I am the only person who will get in the way of achieving my goals. I know, I know, sounds like a cheesey motivational speech, but think about it: if I decide that I want to jump on my bike and pedal around the country all I have to do is arrange to take care of all the little things that I would use as excuses not to do it; bills, my relationship, money, jobs or lack thereof, keeping in touch with friends/family, etc, etc, etc.
Then I wonder what it would be like to head out on the trail solo. The woods have some mysterious way of breaking down people into their most basic parts no matter who the person. That's why I believe so much in the work I was doing. And I wonder what I would see in myself if I were to go. What would I learn? How would I be challenged? What are my most basic parts?
So I have this Itch. And I think I need to prepare myself to scratch it. Soon.
Tuesday, December 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment