Instead of sitting around wondering where I should start or calculating the image with lines of sight and reference points, I chose subjects randomly and jumped into the seeing process using the subject itself to provide reference.
Throughout the process of self-definition and self-actualization (to reference Maslow and a bit of Piaget) I reflect on critical instances that shaped the overall me: my gender presentation, morals, religious views, sexuality, etc, etc and see the general subscription to different sets of rules. Examples? The relationship between my gender presentation and sexuality in my late teens: if not boyish presentation, not gay. Yes, there were many other extraneous variables to my choice in appearance such as comfort, recognition in the small gay community in rural Iowa, not wanting association with feminity, etc. Yet there are the rules (or perceived rules from Jimney Cricket in the back of my head) influencing my decisions. Another? Religion. The Bible to the very fundamentalist community in which I was holy Rule Book. Do this. Don't to that. Try not to do that. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. There are thousands of other examples.
I'm inspired. I've held myself to so many rules for so long: ones written by family, friends, religion, myself; ones implied, assumed, guilt-tripped into. And I want to continue to work within them to break them and re-write something I can allow myself to live by without guilt or limitation.
Even in my rule-abiding, I've always been a bit of a trend-breaker and a way-paver in the things I've been passionate about. But in big ways I feel like another door has been opened to me: a new way of thinking, striving, subscribing. I want to delve into it, explore, and most importantly, allow myself to move. Freely. In art, in life.
No comments:
Post a Comment