Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A long, long time ago...

...I was much better at posting on my blog!

My friends, it's been a long ol' road: from Massachusetts back to Asheville, through heartbreak and struggle, relief and humility. I have no words to describe the experiences of the last four months. I'm learning to appreciate the journey of this life and to stop obsessing over the destination/getting there part.

I've been devouring a whole lot of books, primarily The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron and The Marrow's Telling, poetry by Eli Clare. They have been healing beyond words. I wanted to share a poem I wrote this past October in the midst of an unlocking of spirit and playfulness so here goes: (ready?)


If this is all
just
child's play

then let me fling off
these adult hesitations
let me run
naked in fields of grass
in the clothing of my pungent skin
making music on
stovepipe reeds
with the breath of spirit wind.

Let me romp
unshackled
to the place where the river leads
wander
unseen by grown-up eyes.
To chase the seeds of the maple
helicoptering down.

Let my body tumble into
frigid waters
stealing the very
breath of my bones
shifting my thanks to the next
tide of sweet, sweet breath.
Emerge
Arise from its depths
sinews of arms and legs
straining, taut
heaving my body
refreshed
and
exhausted
to be warmed by sun-soaked granite.

Fill my ears
and my heart
with the confidence of the
sycamore
reaching roots to sky with
bare naked arms.
Like a child, allow me to believe
with beautiful naivety
that every part of me is
whole
casting aside inadequacies
of years gone by;
the realities of growing
up.

Let me dance
truly
dance
in the rain
uninhibited, joyful
bare feet squishing
mud between toes
legs casting my body
puddle to puddle.
Jump open mouth to the sky
silt and gravel
flowing in rivers down my legs.
And you say
this is just child's play.

No comments:

Post a Comment